The Friends of Roman Aldborough organise visits to other Roman sites and museums throughout the North of England.
PRELIMINARY INFORMATION ABOUT 2017 VISITS
The 2017 visits are spread throughout the coming season, so individual visit forms will be sent about 2 months before the visit. There will be a closing date for each visit on the form. We hope this will make it easier for you to plan ahead. Each visit has been carefully costed out to take into account mileages, entry fees and/or other costs where appropriate.
So, here are a few preliminary details which we hope will whet the appetite:
1) Visit to Stanwick and Bowes Museum Tuesday May 9th
- Tour of the extensive site – possibly the Brigantian Queen Cartimandua’s estate. Led by Professor Colin Haselgrove of Leicester University. Professor Haselgrove was responsible for much of the site exploration in the 1990’s and spoke about Stanwick to FORA last year. This visit is a wonderful opportunity for a personal tour by the eminent archaeologist. Free admission
- Move on to Bowes Museum – lunch in cafe there (or bring your own) and time to explore this unique and very interesting museum. Admission £9.50 with concession.Both places are in the Durham/Darlington/Barnard Castle area.
Cost of visit: £12 per person
Visit form issued: 10TH MARCH 2017
Booking deadline date: APRIL 21ST 2017
2) Visit to Rieuvaulx Abbey Tuesday June 13th
- A personal tour by Susan Harrison of the fantastic new (opened late 2016) Museum and visitor centre. She is of course the curator of the English Heritage store in Helmsley, who gave us a tour in 2016 and who is closely involved with Aldborough.
- Lunch in the new cafe/restaurant (or bring your own and picnic) and time to explore the abbey site and shop etc. Free admission to EH members; non members £8.80 with concession
Cost of visit: £15 per person
Visit form issued: APRIL 14TH 2017 (Good Friday)
Booking deadline date: MAY 23RD 2017
3)Visit to Housesteads and Chesters Roman Fort Wednesday July 19th
- Early start (it’s a long way!) from Aldborough
- Time to explore site after a film on arrival. Good interpretation boards etc.
- Lunch in new visitor centre (or bring your own and picnic). Admission free to EH members, non members £7.00 with concessions,
- Afternoon visit to Chesters including a special tour of the site with Graeme Stobbs, Assistant Curator, Corbridge and time to explore Clayton Collection Admission free to EH members, non members £6.90, with concessions.
Cost of visit: £30 per person
Visit form issued: MAY 19TH 2017
Booking deadline date: JUNE 28TH 2017
4) Visit to Hull and East Riding Museum and Treasure House Beverley Saturday October 21st
- A visit to Hull, the 2017 City of Culture and tour of the East Riding Museum led by Peter Halkon, Hull University in the morning . Free Admission
- Please bring your own food. We have hired a room for our group to use.
Cost of visit: £20 per person
Visit form issued: AUGUST 18TH 2017
Booking deadline date: 29th SEPTEMBER 2017
We’re sure you’ll agree that all these visits present an exciting prospect and cater for a wide range of interests.
This year, because a number of the sites are English Heritage, please pay personally any admission fees on the day. EH members go free of course. MEMBERSHIP CARDS! This makes things less complicated.
The minibus leaves Aldborough Estate Office on each occasion. Places are limited so please take note of the deadline date.
Further details and timetables will be issued with the form.
Any queries, please contact Wendy on 01423 324731 or by email: email@example.com